Friday, February 17, 2012

The Power of Rituals

indigenous tribe ritualBefore I left New York City, I used to create rituals with friends.  As someone versed in anthropology and ethnographic research, I read books about other cultures often.  I'm most interested in the ways of indigenous tribal communities around the globe.

One book, The Spirit of Intimacy by Sobonfu Some, inspired me to explore rituals in my own life.  I'm  not religious, but I consider myself spiritual, so I was curious about some of her ideas.  She describes the role of rituals among her African tribe as integral to the community's well being.  They're  both intoxicating and uplifting.  For the short while that I actually improvised a few of my own rituals in my Brooklyn apartment, I really understood what she meant.

I'm wondering if there are others out there who are curious about the power of ritual, not from any religious or organized practice persepective but as something individuals can incorporate in their daily life.  Rituals as a new way of existing in this fluid world.  Rituals as a source of meaning and purpose. 


No comments:

Post a Comment