Monday, February 20, 2012

Whale Watching

This weekend we went whale watching.  Boy was that an experience.  I love outdoors activities here in So Cal and I thought this would be a good way to relax and reconnect with nature.  Instead I puked.

It was a great experience, don't get me wrong, but I got sea sick.  I didn't realize that I was prone to that but the water was extremely choppy.  It felt like a roller coaster at times.  Everyone was feeling woozy, clutching for dear life to the railings so we didn't fall. 

And then an announcement over the loud speaker:  Forget your pride, go over the side.

So I did.

And just as I was purging my morning coffee into the Pacific Ocean --  a whale sighting!  Two whales up ahead.  The boat engine stopped and we drifted for a while in hopes of a better view.  Suddenly water sprays into the atmosphere and we knew where they were.  The engine started up again and we followed the whales several feet until we were right on top of them.


It was peaceful.  It was beautiful.  The Inuit and some Native American tribes worship whales.  The largest animal known to man.  They truly are sacred.  Then thoughts of their extinction filled my mind.  Whales are stressed these days, in the crowded waters, their way of life changing rapidly.  There has to be a reason for all this stress our society causes the planet and one another.  I refuse to believe this isn't the way it's supposed to be.  That in the end, it will all make sense.  Because right now, our relationship with the earth and the life that exists here is looking rather bleak.


No comments:

Post a Comment